Home

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Fall is here which means it's SOUP SEASON!!! Yay!!!!

Today I tried out a simple butternut squash soup. It didn't knock my socks off but it definitely has potential.

The Goods
1 medium butternut squash
1/2 medium onion
2 carrots
1 red potato
1-15oz can veggie broth
2 cans water
curry powder
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp coconut oil
cinnamon
nutmeg

First, I baked the butternut squash at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. I sliced it in half, scooped out the seeds, then put the halves face down in about half an inch of water. When it's done, the skin slides right off!

Next, I browned the onion and curry powder in some olive oil. Then I added all of the remaining ingredients. I let it simmer over medium-high heat for about 30 minutes. Then I pureed everything in a (too-small) food processor.

Hmm, so it came out alright. What can I say? It gave me the feeling that it wants to go to the next level.

When I make it again, I'll use two sweet potatoes (the red was leftover), apple juice instead of veggie broth to make the soup sweeter, and I'll ditch the curry powder and use more brown sugar and possibly add raisins. Who knows, I might even add red lentils! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment